Prevent animal poisoning
In preparation for National Poison Prevention Week, March 18-24, Dr. Frick wants to remind pet owners of possible poisoning to animals. Since the weather is warm, pets are spending more time outside and animals can find toxins.
Here are the top 10 Hazards encountered by pets.
- Human Medication- pet parents should never give their pet any medication without the direction of a veterinarian. Just one Tylenol can be deadly to a cat and just 4 regular strength ibuprofen can lead to kidney problems in a 10 pound dog.
- Insecticides- over the counter flea, tick and insecticides can be dangerous. Be careful with the sprays you’re using in the yard this spring. There are many that cause toxicity in pets. Dr. Frick carries a premise spray that is safe for animal environments.
- Veterinary Medications- Many medications are intended for use in certain species only, and serious problems could result if given to the wrong animal or at too high a dose. Read and follow label instructions and contact your veterinarian if any questions on exact use.
- Plants- Many plants are toxic but even nibbling on non-toxic plants can lead to minor stomach upset. Consult Dr. Frick about the numerous toxic plants in your yard.
- Rodenticides- mouse and rat bait can be deadly to pets. Make sure bait is placed only in areas completely inaccessible to your animals. If ingested, Call Dr. Frick immediately for emergency treatment.
- Household Cleaners- bleach, detergents and disinfectants can cause gastrointestinal irritation, oral burns or respiratory problems if inhaled. When cleaning your pet’s bowls or crate use a mild soap as a hand dishwashing detergent along with hot water is a good choice over products containing potentially harsh chemicals.
- Chocolate- contains large amounts of fat and caffeine – like substances (methylxanthines), which could cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, or even death. Baking chocolate contains the highest amount of methylxanthines, and just 2 ounces could cause serious problems for a 10 pound dog.
- Chemical Hazards- Chemicals to keep away from your pets include ethylene glycol antifreeze, paint thinner, drain cleaners and pool/spa cleaners.
- Physical Hazards- Items include objects that may pose a choking problem, intestinal obstruction, or physical injury. Some objects include collars, adhesive tape, bones, paper products and plastic toys. Pennies are poisonous if ingested. U.S. pennies minted after 1982 contain 99.2 % zinc and 0.8 % copper by weight. Zinc is a concern because ingestions of substantial amounts can cause damage to kidneys, liver, red blood cells, and gastrointestinal tract. As a result of the high zinc content, pennies minted after 1982 are considered to be potentially toxic if swallowed. Keep items that could be easily knocked over, broken, chewed up or swallowed out of the reach of curious pets.
- Home Improvement Products- includes paints, solvents, glues or construction products. Pet parents should keep pets out of areas where home projects are taking place.
This is just a short list of poisons. If your pets or other animals ingest something you’re not sure if it is poisonous or not, please call Dr. Frick immediately to find out, even if no clinical signs are present.
If your animal is sick from ingesting something Don’t Panic, but respond quickly. Collect the possible toxicity, container, or the material your pet vomited and seek medical assistance. Have a safe spring and summer with your pets. Dr. Frick can be reached 24 hours a day by calling 620-285-5267.